Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Privilege through the eyes of an 8 Year Old


Originally published on Facebook February 25, 2017.

In the past two weeks, I've done a handful of interviews about transgender rights and why it's important to our family. The first time my husband and I were interviewed on the news, it was fun to watch the kids' reactions. Rebekah was really proud to see her picture and hear us fighting for her. Oliver was SUPER excited to see mommy on television "mama, mama, see mama", he squealed.

And then there's Elijah. E thinks aloud so we get a running commentary on what's going on in his head on a regular basis. (Yes, this can be just as enlightening, entertaining, and, yes, sometimes painful as it sounds. I love him and the amazing way his brain works.)

At first he understandably said, "Hey! Why does Rebekah get to be on tv?" But then he realized what we were talking about in the interview, "ohhhh it's because she's transgender and she needs us to protect her rights." He continued, "So that means Jaxon might be on tv sometime too! He needs us to protect him, too!"

Jaxon is my nephew, and he happens to not be white. Well, actually he's biracial.

After another night with us on the evening news and the segment showing a few times over the course of the night, he said "Mommy is on tv, again?! Well, I want Rebekah to have her rights. And I want Jaxon to have his rights. I know I don't have to worry about my rights, but I want them to have theirs." And off he went to build something cool.

He's not quite 8 years old, and he gets it. He knows the privilege he has as a white, cisgender male, and he knows we have to fight for and lift up all of those who are vulnerable. If only the rest of the world would catch up.

#ourchildrenarewatching #raisethemright#protecttranskids #stophate

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog - what wonderful kids you have! Bless Oliver for standing up for the rights of those that need protection (something many adults don't think to do)!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear from you! Leave your comments.

It may not show up immediately because I moderate comments due to spam. I promise I'll get to it as soon as possible and look forward to talking to you!